jbvb: (Default)
Weight's back down to 204.

The new battery bank arrived today, on four half-sized pallets. Alas, the 3 point hitch forks I'd borrowed were too wide. I tried some clamp-on bucket forks on my tractor, but it couldn't lift 600 kg. that far in front of the loader. So I asked one of the local farmers what could be done. He came over in a much larger tractor whose loader could lift the weight way out front. It squashed the front tires and bounced a good deal, though.

Then I mounted the crane I'd bought in '93 or '94 for this job. Took some figuring to get the concrete anchors to work, though. As I had guessed, the solution involved a hammer - drive the bolt into the anchor till the anchor is seated, then turn the bolt to make the threads...

Maybe 3 CM rain Monday, which is very welcome but not even beginning to raise the water table anywhere. But still very warm during the days. In the 1990s, we used to schedule Harvestcon for the last week of September, expecting that a frost would have killed the mosquitoes.

Wed. - Sun. of last week I went to the NER convention in Albany. Saw many new places, had chances to railfan the old Troy & Boston line west of the tunnel, saw quite a few nice layouts, operated three. I didn't know locations and driving times when I chose the operating sessions, so the banquet was my best dinner of the trip, and the best breakfast came from IHOP Sunday morning. There was no 'best lunch'. The Scottish Inn's internet would not connect with me, so there was also dancing around to check email in bits of time between events at the convention hotel.

I entered my BL-2 diesel in the contest and got 2nd place in the category, also (barely) a Merit Award. I also was asked to help judge, as part of a 2-person team covering Detail.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
Today: Weight crept up to 206; probably because the local corn was limited by the drought and is now exhausted, also a change of intestinal flora last week.

Monday: I drove M up to Seashore. We donned our armor and spent two hours pulling poison ivy in advance of hordes of families at Pumpkin Patch. Then I caught the Downeaster up to Portland and back in order to see the line from a dome car. Beautiful weather, beautiful views, not at all crowded in the dome.

Sunday: My layout open for people returning from Augusta & the National Narrow Gauge Convention. Coming home from Maine to most of the rest of the world usually involves driving down I-95, to Logan for most of our visitors: DE, UK (2), CA (2) and California (2).

Saturday: Drive back from Augusta via Seashore for Member's Day, then into suburban Boston for a party & home again.

Friday: Visit Boothbay Railroad Village. Quite a few historic structures, a modest collection of New England artifacts, an HO layout with a working signal system using photosensor detection. And a fully-certified boiler shop supporting their two small German steam engines (they're making a new boiler for an American loco they got too). Definitely worth hanging around for the Shop Tour, even though we were late for the Lobster Bake. As usual at these events, I got all the lobster I could eat by way of dissecting the bodies. And then photos of the Contest Room and a photo tour of Newfoundland and its (former) railways 1967 - 1988.

Thursday: Visit the Waterville, Wiscasset & Farmington restoration in Alna, ME. A friend who's a member gave us a tour; nice operation, lots going on, much enthusiasm among the membership. The train was full, so I'm going back at some point to get the ride. And maybe join.

Wednesday: My layout open for people driving to Augusta for the NNGC. 30 visitors, layout ran well but talking to people all day left me wanting relaxation after 4 PM. M helped as guide downstairs.

Tuesday: House cleaning. Total of 1.5 CM rain as a front passed through overnight. Lots of wind but no thunderstorms here.

Sunday 9/4: Helped someone move in Medford. The destination house was a few doors down from the one I helped J move to in 1991, and built to a similar plan. So big stuff that wouldn't fit up the stairs had to be hoisted up over the 2nd floor porch railing. Big lunch of indian food, so light dinner.

Saturday 9/3: Drove Foldy Bike to Nbpt., rode to Riverfest & saw Mike, Jon etc.
jbvb: (Default)
My corn is being clobbered by something; I've had to eat a lot before it was as ripe as I like. Nothing I have in the 'temporary fence' area is going to keep out a raccoon; I'll have to see what's available before next summer. But the corn is good for me, my weight continues to creep down despite 6 little ears for dinner last night.

2 cm rain yesterday, in a short gentle afternoon shower and a heavier rain before sunset. The only thing that will save this year will be some tropical depressions making it this far north. I have some hope for Monday, regardless of the holiday-makers.

Horse manure mulching trees in the orchard, now the asparagus bed, probably the garden as I start to uproot corn that won't make any more ears. Model RR work proceeding, house cleaning to follow Tuesday before the tour Wed.

The replacement battery bank is likely to arrive mid-month. That will be one hard day's work getting the old bank apart, out of the box and ready to ship, then another's reversing the process for the new batteries. I need to prep the crane, or maybe some other kind of hoist. I hope I have some date flexibility, as I'm booked for a multi-day trip in that time range. I am also going to look into help, paid or volunteer.

Solar hot water controller's relay has bitten the wax tadpole; when I have time to embrace another project, it will be 'replace the relay with a better-rated one' vs. 'new controller'.
jbvb: (Default)
Today: gray & damp, no rye harvesting till it dries out again. I gave the horses breakfast, did my gardening, now I'll doff my shirt, turn the attic fans on and clean up my model RR.

Yesterday: Loaded the 20" wood into the '51 truck, gardening, errands. Finished off by biking to Hodgies & back, then dinner. Big Bike is more comfortable with the nose of the seat turned a little farther down, and rolls better with 80 lb. in the tires. But one of the cable ties I used to attach the water bottle holder broke, so it's waiting for me to pick it up at the farmstand.

Wednesday: To Seashore for conductor/motorman training. Ran TCRT 1267 and Conn. Co. 303. The breeze was welcome in my long pants and cop shoes. Home in time for my meeting.

Tuesday: Civic got the last part it needed. I started repairing the Insight's interior trim panels. They're now better than they have been in years, but I had to order a few parts. Also found the Honda shop manual, which I've wanted since we got the car.
jbvb: (Default)
Tonight I found four small-to-medium ears and steamed/ate them. Only one had reached the maturity I like, but none were pale and fragile. Two had lost some kernels to something that had gnawed through the husk. I'll probably have some more next week, but the drought has left me with a lot of plants which may not get past the 'baby corn' stage.

The last field of winter rye is still harvestable, and the farmers have gotten more of the sling bags, so I'll take a shot at it Thursday. But soon it will be time to clean out the combine & store it till next year.

3.5 cm of rain Sunday night - hardly any wind here, so I didn't get up to close windows. We're still short enough that watering just sinks into the garden, though that and dew from cool nights is greening up my lawn. The seedless grapes are pretty much done, so back to tomatoes as the 'fruit' part of my diet.

Several days of work on the paddock fence has it back to decent shape. The bees didn't mind people working a few yards from their hives and a lot of wild honeysuckle, poison ivy and bittersweet has been yanked out. And I did a little blacksmithing today so a gate could be properly secured.

I've attempted to order my new battery bank from a quote, but nobody at the distributor has gotten back to me; I'll call the manufacturer in Canada if I don't get an answer this week.

I spent Monday practicing to be an operator at Seashore, and was asked to go up again Wednesday, as there will be several bus tours plus a children's reading event. If I drive up in a hurry, I pay NH $2 for ~12 mi. of I-95 and ME $3 ($4 SB) for ~17 mi. But I've found a fairly direct toll-free alternative that uses only 300 m. of Rt. 1. And it might even be faster during peak weekend vacation travel.

The Mass Pike's new open road tolls appear to up the cost of I-290 - I-291 from $1.50 to $2.65 if I don't sign up for an EZPass. And per today's Globe, they're spending ~$130M rebuilding the exits w/o tollbooths, but only saving about $5M/year, much less than promised when the project was proposed.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
My sleep was interrupted last night, but not by a thunderstorm making me close the windows. The USAF and Air National Guard use an old bomber base 25 km northeast of me. Last night they flew four heavy jets out starting at 0230. They are exempt from sound control rules; their engines are easy to recognize because of how loud they are, and they don't bother to go out over the ocean to climb to cruising altitude.

Maybe it was the ANG trying to keep planes clear of a thunderstorm. Maybe something secret. This isn't the first time. Someday it'll matter how conspicuous this cowboy behaviour makes them; at night I would have needed binoculars to know the plane type, but 100,000 people knew how many and anyone who stepped to a window knew the course.

Tomatoes doing well. First ear of corn is imminent. ~2 CM of rain over the weekend, maybe 2 MM yesterday evening. Weight is about 94 kg. on mostly corn as my starch. Clearing the paddock required finishing the elm & maple firewood in not-ideal weather.

Good to see Bill at NOFA. Now I know more about cucurbit pests and diseases. I'm going to try sheet composting. And I did some railfanning on the trips out and back. Foldy Bike gave good service, even when my skin was slick with sweat. Amherst Motel's WiFi didn't work in my room, so IMO it was overpriced.
jbvb: (Default)
I got a bin of grain a week ago, but one original wood bearing in the straw rack died and its mate was almost gone. Both of the parts combine's bearings were also on the way out. I didn't know anything about wood bearings when this happened, but that didn't last long. Looked around and found replacements, but as the weekend had arrived it was faster to make my own. And I finally know why I saved that chunk of maple from 1995's kitchen counter project.

In the process the milling machine's motor starter crapped out; it's hotwired while I decide whether I really need one for a 1/2 HP motor that runs maybe 5 hr. in a busy year. I had to dig out the lathe's boring bar to arrive at a hole bigger than 5/8" but less than 13/16", but the two I made have run 6 hours without problem. And then yesterday morning I had to make a new hinge pin: cut 5/16" rod, drill two 1/16" holes for cotters. I used the Walker-Turner drill press. One drill broke as it started to exit, but I was able to punch the fragments out leaving a usable hole.

The two fields J planted produced about 6 tons. The one across the state line was thinner and less consistently seeded, but still worthwhile. The current Google Maps image is from this spring and the crop is visible, south and SE of her paddocks.

There is a 3rd field, but I don't have a shelter for the combine near it. I will look at it before leaving for the NOFA conference and see if there's hope for next week. Today's 1.5 CM of rain will accelerate weed growth and once they're too tall it becomes very difficult to keep unwanted seeds out of the grain.

I did get to the beach with J and M last week. My garden has survived with attention from both me and M. I got the body work done on the Civic. Next month Youngest will be attending www.sspc18.com. I got a call from Middle and his fiancee Sunday AM, made from their camp on Signal Ridge south of Mt. Carrigain.

My house and barn have undergone considerable cleaning and organizing, in part because Youngest's horse needs 2 months of reduced turnout rest and my barn has empty stalls. More field cleanup remains, as there were a couple of trees cut last year but no appropriate time for brush burning with the winter's limited snow.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
Last week I noticed one apple on the Beacon tree, but when I looked Sunday it was on the ground with a rotten core and a hole eaten in one side. So I got some of it, but I'm not spotting any others.

There are likely to be chestnuts on both trees. The resident squirrels have found the hazelberts before they're really ripe and are leaving remains here and there on the lawn. I need to follow a few of them to their nests.

The weekend's hike appears to have reset my weight to about 206, which pleases me. Saw the Dr. this afternoon about a spot on my arm, which was pronounced harmless. BP & pulse also satisfactory a few minutes after running up the stairs.

M planted two of the rhubarb seedlings, which seem to be doing well. Several of the small tomatoes are producing, but there are also signs of infection in a couple.

Thinking my next hike should be North Weeks via the York Pond and Kilkenny Ridge trails. But that will have to wait for progress on the rye. Which will be attempted tomorrow.

There's been some progress on the battery replacement, and I've dealt with reservations and organization for the major September activities. But Town issues remain unopened. And I still haven't been in the Atlantic this year. Hi ho, no rest for the wicked...
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
Wed. & Thu. got the combine fixed again, but late in the afternoon. I got another 3/4 bin off the field before thunderstorms arrived. Parked till it dries out, maybe by Wed 8/3?

Over the weekend I spent time with old friends on lakes in Maine, with a hike up Moat Mtn. on Saturday. The trail was as hot, dry and unrelenting in its ascent over the ledges as I remembered from decades ago, but I didn't meet any others till I started back from Middle Moat and the views and the blueberries were excellent. I beat book time going up, but not coming down. I'm not sure a full 2 MPH is realistic on that rocky downgrade.

Sunday I drove home, badgered by traffic on NH 16. Happily, I had pleasant visits to three museums that aren't (quite) on Rt. 16.

Today started out well: To complete the New England 4000-footers, I only need to climb the Horn on Saddleback and Mt. Abraham (near each other in Maine). I can do them alone, but company would be nicer. Alas, neither is a starter hike.

The Civic is at the body shop; postponing work on the rusting door saves more than $1K!

It got somewhat worse: I had to prod my Dr.'s bureaucrats for a checkup, which won't be till October. But they'll see me for a spot on my arm tomorrow.

Then I heard that a young person I know, and see a bit of myself in, had a setback in tests. IMO his schools are trying to do far too much with 8 year-olds, but not my culture.

Then I tried to buy detachable link chain, only to find the manual doesn't give the size of one that needs replacement.

Then I tried to buy new solar batteries. Hours trolling around web sites, trying to get dimensions, capacity and terminal layouts. One major US manufacturer has completely fact-proofed their site, even using Google to search it. My FB query collected a little useful info, but the rest of the FB stream is dismaying to say the least.

Corn grows, tomatoes ripen, the horse chestnut I thought was dead has put out leaves. Good, because the builder's crew has cut off all the seedlings I hoped to save from Nbpt.
jbvb: (Default)
I got less than 1 cm of rain from Saturday's thunderstorms, but lots of spectacular views of late afternoon sun on the clouds as I drove back from Auburn.

Sunday I repaired B-69872's broken cradle hanger with the 2nd from the parts combine. Today I ordered the 29/64" drill rod to make several more. I must figure out why the Scour-Kleen's tailings auger chain broke rather than just replace it and hit the field again. But I haven't found time to take it apart yet. Maybe this AM.

Monday I worked on landscaping at my parents' house, ending the day at sunset having rigged up a hose to water a rhododendron we decided to move. The soil there was powder-dry, and I haven't gotten that dirty below the knees since the last time I stepped in a mud hole barefoot.

A bit more rain finally came Monday night, in two quiet showers. Not even 1 cm here. But plants with leaves above ground stayed wet till morning, which helps. I put the Boston Ferns outside under an elm the other day. I started cleaning their home in the dining room today, but I really shouldn't put them back till the wall is cleaned & their table given some furniture polish etc.

[afterthought] I'm losing weight by substituting 4 ears of sweet corn and a big chunk of a non-marketable tomato for the pasta I usually cook for dinner: 208-ish this morning, down from 211 or so when I got home from Indianapolis.
jbvb: (Default)
Still weeks till corn, though.

Harvested 1.5 tons of rye Friday, now I have to fix the combine - this cradle hanger can come from the parts combine, but the next one I'll have to make.
jbvb: (Default)
Tuesday I found the sweet corn planted on the 14th was up, likely helped by Monday's rain. And I finished fixing the mountain bike Eldest had left here, and rode it to the Town Offices and the farmstand (different trips). I also found I'd underestimated how much water the new inverter's charge cycles were boiling out of my batteries, so the tops of all their plates got dry. They were due for replacement, but now I need to get it done before Labor Day. The overnight temperature was 58F, so blanket & bedspread were reinstalled.

Wednesday I made landscaping decisions in Nbpt. and got my modules back from Marlboro. Rush hour on 495 stank, but I didn't have anything better to do out that way, so I stayed in it to get home earlier.

Today: blueberries are gone. Black raspberries and mulberries are fading, leaving me fruitless till the Pawpaws come in October. But I should have at least cherry tomatoes before the end of the month.

The rye is about ready, so it's 'work on the combine day'. This morning saw it all together, this afternoon should see it greased and turned over, initially by hand, then by the tractor. I don't want to take it on the road when commuters would get tense, so it might not head for the field till tomorrow.

Back to clambering around it & getting greasy...
jbvb: (pic#49603177 railroad)
The Insight got me up there at 78.9 MPG in the hot, humid morning. I learned to run Wheeling curve-side #639, and made three round trips with passengers. Then we got Connecticut Co. #1160 out and I ran it out and back with just my conductor and the Asst. Superintendent. I made a few minor mistakes hurrying back to put the cars away before the thunderstorms arrived. We did get a bit wet. Several more days like this might get me my license, break the drought, or both at once.

Shopped on the way home, so dinner waited till after Planning Board. But now I have enough distilled water to do the batteries tomorrow. And parts to finish fixing W's bike. And the combine to assemble. And the Civic to take to the body shop, if I can get a ride back.

2 cm of rain at home, cooler for a while, but most of the humidity came back. Many windows open cooling off the house. I expect it will be a couple of days before the rye dries out.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
300 km west, the radar image gave me hope of a couple of CM of rain. But it thinned and broke up as it approached the coast, so today brought about 20 minutes of light rain this morning and another 10 at sunset, not even 1 CM. My Nova pear is losing its leaves, as it did last summer. I need to photograph it & get leaf specimens; black spots on the leaves could be Fireblight but the tree resisted that for its first 15 years just fine.

All of the corn I've planted is up. It would be optimistic to plant the rest of the tilled area tomorrow, but I do have more soaker hose and a distaste for wasting the remaining seed. The remaining repairs to the combine will take a few hours, then it will be greasing and set-up. But today's damp won't hurry the grain maturing and drying.

I've never used the term 'polymath' to describe myself, but now I'm wondering. If I did, would it help me find a partner? I've always thought I wanted a peer as a partner, but some people turn away from me at first glance, others wait a while.

I don't know a term for 'individual who easily adapts to different social circles'. But I am one. I've had, at times, as many as four different and more or less incompatible circles of friends. I take the groups and individuals as they come, which I've found effective for dealing with people in general. Individuals sometimes change themselves to suit circumstances, but it's safer to bet they'll run headlong at an obstacle that reflects on their self-image. But I gather this is uncommon, so it's also been an obstacle in my relationships.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
Or, 'A Lot More Time in the 16 Y.O. Car' (when not politicking protocol design or taking pictures). Indy is ~960 mi. and there were detours, excursions and exploration, so ~2200 mi. total since July 2. Driving efficiently requires many, many little throttle adjustments, sometimes several per minute. I first noticed the blister Monday evening, after ~670 mi. that day.

I used up my Seneca gas driving to layouts west and south of Indy, so bought more when setting out for W. Lafayette to see some of the best HO scale scenery I've ever encountered. (NTS: IN gas tax varies by county, up to ~$.30/gal.). 7 gal. of that were used at 83.8 MPG, getting to Ashtabula, OH. I had decided to try the Southern Tier (I-86/88), so wasn't going to pass the reservation again, but I saw a good price and filled up mid-day Monday. That got me home, at 80.1 MPG despite all the climbing in and out of river valleys. And I paid no tolls whatsoever to NY on the return trip.

I had never known that the Allegheny River watershed comes within 4-5 mi. of the open water of Lake Erie above Chautauqua Lake. Neither had I known that the Susquehanna watershed extends to within 30 mi. of Albany, NY. Now I need to read about the geological history that produced this.

IN, OH, PA, NY and MA all had multiple lane closures due to bridge repair or repaving. The worst jam was a multi-mile backup on I-70 beginning at Richmond, IN. That was the root of my National Road experience. I-86/88 had as many single-lane segments as the NYS Thruway, but with much less traffic, no delays.

One plus for New England: West of the Berkshires, it seems the Official Plan leaves deer, racoon, possum etc. carcasses where they were flung until Nature Does Its Thing (or December comes and they're plowed off the pavement). We still have the funds to cart them elsewhere, where Nature Will Work Faster. I can't tell if it's less truck traffic or more aggressive cleanup, but there were a lot fewer retread pelts East of the Berkshires too. But someone should tell the Turnpike Authority that I-90 reaches ~6,300 ft. crossing the Rockies, and their sign in Blandford or Otis needs adjustment.

I find that I don't feel much need to eat when driving. No exercise. While the car was cold starting out each day, by 9 AM I was wishing I was wearing less (which wouldn't have been legal). So when I felt the need, I ate a handful of trail mix, a banana or the like. This morning the Red Carpet Inn's signs (Richmondville, NY) made it clear I shouldn't expect breakfast till 0800. Lacking working Wifi, I hit the road at 0715. Then I got home and started running around the house, doing laundry etc. Lunch was very welcome after that, and my blood sugar is mostly back to normal as I type this.

Sweet corn for dinner, bills etc. to deal with, meeting tomorrow, all back to Summer Normal. Except I haven't swam in salt water yet this year. NTS: Fix that, soonest.
jbvb: (Default)
Nice machine, but no longer young. Saturday the Pike stank on ice. Congestion at Auburn, a jam caused by a line unable to find parking at the rest stop, fairly smooth at Sturbridge. But then a 30 minute crawl across the Quaboag River (a mile down, a mile up, another mile down). When I passed the apparent accident scene, there were two cruisers, an ambulance and nothing else. Did someone try to cross the highway? If so, was the 30 min. delay solely due to gawkers?

So after that crawl, not as much power as I expected. Mileage went into the toilet (achieving a mere 68 MPG became difficult). Drew the battery down. I got off the highway near the border and found it was OK at ~40 MPH. So NY did not get all the tolls it might have expected. NTS: 20, being farther north, is flatter than 20A. A plus was gassing up chez Seneca for $1.90/gal. NY 5 along Lake Erie is not as fast, but has better views.

This morning, after a few minutes on the road, I noticed kind of a stumble as I was feathering the accelerator down toward my target of 75 MPG and all of a sudden it was much happier. Had I been missing a cylinder, or maybe just one of the multiple plugs? I'll check tomorrow before I start it. Most of today's drive was nice weather but the end was 3 hr. through rain. Some on US 40, which has more 'linear tourist trap' nature than US 20, but maybe the National Road should be allowed that. When I got off the highway, it showed 78 MPG for ~400 miles. I had done a little better on my last trip to these parts, ~81 MPG, but the car was only 5 then.

In other notes, I have connected the driving from a 1995 business trip to Dayton to my larger graph. I can remember all the major roads I've ever driven, and most I've ridden over as a passenger. Someday I may map it.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
Planted another 5x 5m rows of Reflection sweet corn this noon. 0.4" of rain since the wee hours, but the soil was still powdery dry 3" below the surface. I'll need to extend the soaker hose unless the forecast for the week of the 4th is very damp.
jbvb: (Default)
Mulberries are partly ripe, as are highbush blueberries. I might get a couple of sour cherries this week, but only if I put netting around the few individual fruit I can see starting to change color.

My second planting of corn is poking up through the ground; time to move the soaker hose.

Repaired the rear wheel of Eldest's old bike; the spokes showed corrosion and cracking, but I don't know which came first. But then I lunched the rear derailleur while riding with stops to adjust. First time I've done that in 44 years of derailleur bikes, but it might be that safety margins were shaved somewhere on the path from 'A Ten-Speed' to '21-speed mountain bikes that can't exceed a walking pace in bottom gear'. Or it might be that this Shimano Tourney was the same quality as the spokes.

The rhubarb seedlings continue to prosper, but nothing from the damaged Horse Chestnut seedling yet. I'll have to negotiate with my cat sitters about watering them and the garden while I'm out of town. Everything is quite dry, and the upcoming front is forecast as 'chance of showers' not exceeding 50%. [edit] Alas, the dry weather has doomed the elm south of my old barn. One side is withering and I have little hope it won't kill the rest in the next week or two.

Social weekend: a funeral brought out a few people I hadn't seen in years. And a long-ish drive to the mountains got me to a dinner train trip and a resolve to begin my 2016 hiking with Moat Mountain, which I've seen hundreds of times but never returned to after a 1980s trip had to turn back because parents hadn't brought enough water for young kids on a hot, bright day. Then driving into town and biking to Chinatown to see the 3rd set of friends for the weekend. And then dinner at Osaka in Merrimac, MA determined that the chef knew how to make Singapore Mee Fun. I'm not eager to adjust to this 'pan asian' thing where Udon, Kung Pao and Pad Thai share a single menu, but it seems to be growing.
jbvb: (pic#51664908 hiking)
Planted another 5x 5m rows of Reflection sweet corn a week ago, but none have come up as of this AM. I did rig a soaker hose over these and the initial 5 rows, since the soil is quite dry and my grass is starting to brown. Weather remains cool enough that I haven't been tempted by the beach yet, which may be slowing down the corn.

One tomato doesn't look very happy, but the other 8 look good, so do both kinds of basil and the onions. The first corn is now ~6 cm high. Black raspberries are getting red, blueberries are formed but still green. Alas, the blossoms I saw on my sour cherry apparently didn't get fertilized, as there is very little fruit to be seen on it. Oh, well, I guess tomatoes will have to fill that need.

Little rhubarb seedlings now have multiple leaves and have been separated into individual pots. I'll have to make sure they're tended when I'm out of town.

Also dug up one of the horse chestnut seedlings I'd flagged at the old house. It had been driven over and broken off, but I moved it anyway. Now watering and hoping it can muster the energy for an adventitious bud. It won't need too much tending until it buds, if ever.

Got my tractor back from haying and fixed the long-broken flasher. Then mowed a bit around the place, mostly for clear vision and walking. Then I hosed off the tractor, greased it (12 fittings in the running gear, 12 more in the loader) and worked with wire brush and spray primer here & there.

Did the hammer work necessary to fix the movable hooks on the kitchen pot rack, and adjusted the barn cellar door so one end of it doesn't drag.

Eldest called me on Father's Day. Middle is off LARPing with a helmet he made with tools and a wee bit of help from me. Youngest is riding & doing molecular modeling up on the edge of the mountains, which seems to be keeping her quite busy.

Got an estimate of $3.5K to fix rust on the Civic (including one door which appears to be losing its bottom flange). It would probably get it through another 5 years, which appeals to me as new cars get more and more gadgetized.
jbvb: (Default)
The sweet corn I planted was Reflection, an F1 hybrid. Nominal 72 days to maturity, though I can't say if that's from planting, or emergence.

The last apple tree J & I planted has withered, victim of something that girdled the trunk down low or roots below ground level. A deer ate the new growth off the same-aged tree next to it, so I brought out the chicken wire.

At my parents' house I found two horse chestnut seedlings in leaf and a part of one of the rhubarb crowns that had put out leaves. They're all marked, it sounds like I have to move one of them in the next two weeks. If I take a big root ball and pay really close attention to it, it may survive. The others can wait till next spring, I hope, so I can get them dormant.

I'm going to have a lot of black raspberries, probably all at once due to the dry spring. The Winter Rye J planted has also liked this weather, plus the manure she applied - it bodes well to be the biggest crop we've ever harvested. So I have maybe a month to get my AC 66 combine into as good shape as possible for something built in 1958.
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 12:27 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios